Autism, a developmental disorder that affects one out of every 59 people worldwide, is a lifelong condition. People diagnosed with mild autism experience communication difficulties, developmental delay, repetitive speech style, and social adjustment disorders. They have fewer and milder symptoms than individuals with autism have. For this reason, it can also be called atypical autism. So what are the symptoms of mild/atypical autism and how is it treated if there is any?
We already know that autism is defined as a congenital developmental disorder. If the characteristic features of autism are not observed intensely or are very mild, it is called mild autism. It is also known as pseudo autism, mild autism, transient autism, or semi-autistic with its definition among the people. People with this type of autism disorder do not have as many problems in their lives as other individuals on the autism spectrum. Individuals with mild autism adapt to society more easily than individuals with other types of autism.
The group that responds best to the treatment process and the training they receive is individuals with mild autism. The most important feature that distinguishes children with mild autism from all other children on the autism spectrum is that they can be overcome by early diagnosis, therapy, and correct treatment methods, and they can lead a healthy life like individuals who complete their development normally. It should not be forgotten that the effect of early diagnosis is great in overcoming the problems experienced by an individual with mild autism.
Symptoms of Mild Autism
Symptoms may vary from individual to individual in individuals with mild autism. In mild autism, at least one of the following symptoms or milder severity of more than one symptom can be observed. The most known mild autism symptoms can be listed as follows:
- There is a delay or difficulty in language and speech abilities.
- Developmental problems are observed in different neurological abilities such as motor development, visual perception, spatial perception, and cognitive abilities.
- An increase or decrease in the senses of taste, smell, sight, touch, or hearing is observed. They can be overreactive sometimes.
- Stereotypical, that is, repetitive behavior patterns are observed.
- They may be obsessed with specific objects, topics, or things.
- They may exhibit obsessive and repetitive behaviors.
- There is a delay in muscle development.
- They may have difficulties in understanding and perceiving.
- They have social adaptation problems.
- Communication problems are observed.
- They often have anxiety and trust issues.
- Inability or insensitivity is observed in verbal or non-verbal communication.
- They do not feel any sense of danger, fear, or pain.
- They cannot make eye contact or react to the name. (Even if they look into your eyes, this is usually brief or they seem to be looking away from you.)
- They are quite insensitive to heat, cold, or any pain.
- They can be offensive. They tend to harm themselves, others, or property.
- They like to have a routine. Every little change in their routine causes them to experience more stress.
- They can be extremely shy and shy.
- They may overreact to the disruption of the environment in which they live. For example, if the items in the house have been moved, they may cry until the items are put back in their places.
Reasons for Having Mild Autism
One of the most curious subjects is the question of why and how mild autism happens. Genetic factors, environmental factors, hormonal reasons, and some neurodevelopmental differences are among the causes of mild autism. We can list the causes of mild autism as follows:
- The mother’s use of drugs or excessive medication use during pregnancy increases the risk of autism in infants.
- Studies show that the risk of autism in children increases with the age of the parents, and this risk is higher especially for fathers over the age of 35.
- Problems that leave traces in the child’s nervous system, such as premature birth or difficult birth, can cause autism.
- Cesarean delivery can also be listed among the causes of autism. Scientific researches show that in the normal birth of the mother, the child incorporates beneficial bacteria that support the intestinal flora; this shows that there is no such possibility in cesarean delivery. There are some studies that show a relationship between intestinal flora, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, and autism.
- Some mutations that occur during gene splicing, gene deletion, or some protein synthesis deficiencies that are responsible for gene excess can cause mild autism.
- Heavy metal transmission from mother to child or subsequent accumulation in the child can be listed as a mild autism cause. Heavy metal passing from the mother’s blood to the baby affects the brain tissue of the developing baby.
It is possible to count these reasons among the mild autism causes that may come to the fore at the moment. However, there is no scientifically proven cause of mild autism yet. However, scientific research on this subject is still continuing.
Treatments of Mild Autism
Mild autism is a disorder that, although with more basic symptoms, does not go away completely. However, with the support of behavioral therapy, in adulthood, they can reach a level that is indistinguishable from normally developed individuals who do not suffer from these disorders and can lead a healthy life on their own. Autistic symptoms may disappear over time. Therefore, early diagnosis and treatment are of great importance.
There is no known cure for the many types of autism, such as any definite drug or surgery. Treatment is planned according to the needs of the child. In the treatment process, it is aimed to improve the skills of children and strengthen their speech with the help of special pieces of training.
It should be kept in mind that the group that responds best to the treatment process in autism spectrum disorder is the group with mild autism. A child with mild autism can be treated with various therapy support. What kind of support is needed varies over time and according to the child.
Different methods and treatments are used for different delays in development. Play-based activities are used to develop emotional and communication skills. Speech therapy support is provided to improve speaking skills and body language.
In the mild autism treatment process, children improve their social skills by receiving special education and psycho-educational therapies. They begin to express themselves better. Behavioral problems are reduced. Cognitive functions and speaking skills develop. An increase in motor skills is observed. A decrease in obsessions is observed.
- Developmental therapies; usually focus on emotional, intellectual, and social skills.
- Occupational therapy; Many gross motor skills such as balance exercises, sports, balance, etc. are carried out with occupational therapy procedures performed in the company of a physiotherapist.
- Nutrition diet practices; Educational studies are carried out on child psychology, music, and art studies.
- Families with children with mild autism also should be informed about treatment studies.
- Along with nutritional treatments, diets are followed depending on the allergy status of the children.
- Individuals with mild autism also have unique characteristics and treatment methods should be planned specifically for each person.
When looking at mild autism recovery signs, it varies according to each individual, as the same symptoms are observed. Especially when these treatments and training are followed from childhood, it is easier and faster for children to get used to social life. There is no definitive treatment for all autism groups as we mentioned before, and together with the necessary rehabilitation, the possibility of recovery, that is, the rate of living more comfortably and alone, is increased. With the support of families, individuals can live independently with predetermined qualitative and specific educational practices.
With mild autism treatment, people are provided with healthier communication, their skills are increased, and their obsessions are reduced. Signs of mild autism recovery may also include being in high spirits and being happy. Because they start to express themselves more easily and comfortably.
The mild autism group is known as an autism group that responds favorably to treatment on the autism spectrum. Since it is a group that responds positively to the treatment, the family, friends, and relatives of the individual should know the situation of the people in this regard and act accordingly.
How To Treat A Child With Mild Autism
In fact, children with autism and mild autism should be treated in the same way as any child should be treated. Interest should be shown, warm and understanding behaviors should be displayed and should be approached with love. Remember that what they really need most is the understanding you show them. Try to understand them and make them feel that too. The family of the child who is being treated for mild autism should not despair during the treatment process. Otherwise, the child may be adversely affected psychologically and may refuse treatment. The child with mild autism should always feel support during the treatment process.
Symptoms of Mild Autism in Toddlers
Can a child with mild autism live a healthy life? The short answer to this question is yes. We know that autism is a spectrum disorder. This means that symptoms appear differently in each individual and range from mild to severe. The milder the symptoms, the more likely a child with autism is to live more individually in their daily lives. They have a high ability to overcome many social, communication, and behavioral deficiencies that hinder them.
In children with mild autism, the importance of early intervention is more evident and observable. While not impossible, it becomes increasingly difficult to treat deficiencies and delays as the child with autism grows.
A child with mild autism can eventually lead a productive, free, and independent life compared to other children on the spectrum. With early intervention, they can be successful in communication and social interaction with their peers and learn the necessary skills. They may also work to demonstrate appropriate behavior in school, work, and other social settings. In addition to those, many of them who receive early intervention and guidance during their developmental stages become very indistinguishable from their normally developed peers during adolescence and adulthood.
The best thing that can be done for a child with mild autism is to seek professional support for an intervention soon after diagnosis. ABA is generally considered the best method for this. Starting ABA therapy early will also be very beneficial for parents. This difference will become more visible, especially when the child with mild autism begins to walk. They will learn appropriate life skills and abilities more quickly and parents will be more comfortable about their children’s lives.
Amplelife 3D Easter Bunny Pop Fidget Toys – Bubbles Poppers Sensory Toy for Toddlers 1-3 Autistic Children, Pop Rabbit it Ball Fidgets its Pack (3 Packs)
They are fidget toys that can be used multifunctional. They are fun toys that can be squeezed easily. Also, they can be used to reduce stress and increase calmness. They are made of high-quality materials which are soft silicone. Thanks to the material, they are very soft and comfortable. Over time, you will still feel the same softness. They can be used by everyone whether they are on the autism spectrum or not. They are easy to carry and easy to attach to any item. It can be also a great gift alternative. Overall, it is a fun and great item to spend money on. https://www.amazon.com/Easter-Bunny-Pop-Fidget-Toys/dp/B09TK7Y2LQ/ref=sxin_14_pa_sp_search_thematic_sspa?cv_ct_cx=sensory%2Btoys&keywords=sensory%2Btoys&pd_rd_i=B09TK7Y2LQ&pd_rd_r=15fba89d-098a-4159-aa11-3539470146fa&pd_rd_w=DeAl4&pd_rd_wg=dJwQL&pf_rd_p=55f29f81-ec0c-4199-b827-52d2036e3594&pf_rd_r=GAQ5AD1FMFS3596NM2XP&qid=1647776853&sr=1-2-a8004193-6951-43f6-852a-aff7dbba9115-spons&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFOMFgyRUgxU1ZLRlYmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTAzNDk1NDkyWEFDMEdITElYU0M5JmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA5ODk2OTlZN0NSNlFNTkxIT0kmd2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9zZWFyY2hfdGhlbWF0aWMmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl&th=1
LESONG Sensory Water Beads Toy for Kids 6 Pack, Shapes Learning Toy for Toddlers, Fidget Stress Toys for Autism/ Anxiety Relief for Adults, Bean Bags Great for Cornhole Tossing Carnival Backyard (Shape)
It is a great multifunctional sensory toy. It helps to reduce stress, reduce anxiety, develop focus and develop concentration while having fun. They are good for individuals with autism, ADHD, high level of anxiety, and even Alzheimer’s. However, fun items for normally developed individuals as well. They are good for sensory and color recognition. There are 6 different colors and 6 different shapes filled with water beads. It can be used as a game to keep toddlers and children busy especially while traveling. It is a great gift alternative for everyone. https://www.amazon.com/Learning-Toddlers-Cornhole-Carnival-Backyard/dp/B0823PVQM9/ref=sr_1_11?keywords=sensory%2Btoys&qid=1647776853&sr=8-11&th=1