1. The care costs of an individual with autism are very high.
Probably some of the most surprising statistics about autism are the maintenance costs of a person with autistic spectrum disorder. Maintenance for a lifetime can range from $ 1.4 million to $ 2.2 million.
2. Symptoms of autism manifest itself at an early age.
Although parents do not realize this situation until they reach school age, the symptoms start at an early age. We can even say that it was almost 6 months old. For example, babies with autism do not react to the faces of babies who do not have autism spectrum disorders.
3. Everyone has an autism gene in their genes.
Although it is not possible to say exactly which gene it is, research results revealed that everyone has tight enough bonds for autism.
4. Autism is more likely to occur in boys.
The probable reason for this is that genetic restructuring is thought to be related to stronger girls.
5. Autism is everywhere.
Unlike many diseases that occur only in some groups of people, Autism Spectrum Disorder is reported to occur in many different racial and ethnic groups and all over the world. Autism can be seen in any group regardless of religion, language, race, social status, and economic status.
6. There is no medical testing related to autism.
Unfortunately, there are no blood tests that can diagnose Autism Spectrum Disorder. Instead, doctors and specialists in the field use a series of behavioral tests to see what skills children with Autism Spectrum Disorder acquire.
7. Children with autism are much more curious than their peers.
All children can walk around, be cared for, ask questions, have a high sense of curiosity, but children with autism spectrum disorders have a slightly higher level of curiosity than their peers.
8. Early diagnosis and treatment are very important.
Although there is no definitive treatment method for autism spectrum disorder, getting early treatment (speech therapy, occupational therapy, social skills training, and applied behavior analysis) has been shown to have a big impact on your child’s long-term success.
9. Children of older parents are more likely to experience autism.
Autism spectrum disorder is more likely to occur in children born to older parents, that is, in children of mothers who have given birth over 35, or in children of boys over the age of 40.
10. Late diagnosis is very common.
Although the symptoms begin to manifest themselves at an early age, parents realize this too late or do not want to admit that there is a problem in their child’s development.
11. Vaccines do not cause autism.
This is a well-known wrong. Contrary to popular belief, vaccines do not cause autism.
12. It was believed that mothers who are distant from their children, that is, mothers of cold mothers, had autism.
Until recently, it was believed that autism was only for children of distant mothers.
13. There is no cure.
There is no cure for autism. However, there are a number of behavioral therapies and medications that can greatly regulate the problematic behavior of a person with autism spectrum disorders. Drugs used by individuals with autism are generally adjunct drugs that reduce hyperactivity and help concentrate attention, thus supporting the children to benefit more from their education.
14. Socialism is the most important treatment of autism.
Autism spectrum disorder is not a language disorder. It is a disease based on social communication difficulties. This means that someone with autism spectrum disorders has a hard time understanding social cues and adapting to social life. They have difficulty reading body language. They have no idea what the importance of intonation or sarcasm is.
15. According to a study, children who live in areas with a lot of rain have a higher risk of autism.
According to experts, this link is explained by a lack of vitamin D. It has been revealed in studies that vitamin D deficiency causes problems in young children. When children don’t go out too much, they can’t get enough vitamin D, which triggers autism.
16. Individuals with autism do not want friends.
This is a well-known wrong. Individuals with autism may seem timid because they do not know how to communicate. However, this does not mean that they do not want to make friends.
17. Individuals with autism cannot express any emotional state.
This is a well-known wrong. Individuals with autism often express their emotional state in ways that we are not accustomed to, not in known ways. Most of the time, we don’t realize that. This does not mean that they cannot express their feelings.
18. Individuals with autism do not understand the feelings of others.
This is a well-known wrong. Individuals with autism may not understand the allusion, metaphor, and sarcasm. But they can feel more open and more direct compassion, love, caring, etc.
19. Intellectuality is disabled in individuals with autism.
This is a well-known wrong. In contrast, sometimes individuals with autism may experience high IQ and giftedness in mathematics, music, painting, or any other field.
20. Individuals with autism are just like the characters with autism we see in movies.
This is a well-known wrong. Autism is a spectrum disorder. Autistic features vary from person to person. The abilities and limitations of an individual with autism do not mean that they will be seen in other individuals with autism in the same way.
21. People with autism will have autism forever.
It is a proposition that is partially true. Autism does not have a definite cure but some recent research has shown that adequate improvements can be made with early diagnosis and early interventions.
22. Autism is not just a brain disorder.
Autism is not just a disease caused by damage to the brain. Studies have shown that many people have autism-related gastro-intestinal disorders, food sensitivity, and many allergies.
23. Each individual with autism is different from each other, but some symptoms are common.
As a result of developmental differences, the person communicates with his world in a different way. This affects the senses of seeing, hearing, and feeling. They find it difficult to communicate with others in social life. They often experience anxiety. Many individuals with autism find it difficult to distinguish several different sounds in the background. On the other hand, autism manifests itself differently in everyone. Some individuals are much more affected by symptoms, while others are much less. An important part of them communicates only with gestures and facial expressions, as they cannot speak to other people around them at all.
24. Individuals with autism may not know when to talk while chatting.
Individuals with autism who have difficulty reading the body language of the people around them may not know when to start and end the conversation and what will be the best moment to join someone else’s conversation. It would be better to involve them in your conversation and ask them questions directly.
25. Individuals with autism reflect their feelings in unexpected ways.
Individuals with autism show their emotions in different ways. They can react differently to different situations. This is because they are grappling with several things in their inner worlds at the same time. Because they experience some emotions much stronger than other people, they find it difficult to put their emotions into words. In such cases, you can facilitate communication by using photos or asking clarifying questions.
26. Written language makes communication easier for individuals with autism.
The person with autism has less difficulty and less stress when communicating via e-mail or phone message. They gain time to understand the given message, and they can prepare their responses without feeling the pressure to respond immediately. In this way, the anxiety caused by the social signs they have difficulty in resolving will disappear. On the other hand, talking on the phone is also difficult for some individuals with autism because they are concerned about responding immediately, as in face-to-face communication, and the background sounds to distract them easily.
27. Feelings like love are very mysterious for individuals with autism.
Experts say that love is a mysterious situation for individuals with autism and this mystery cannot be resolved without guidance. Individuals in the autism spectrum try to categorize love as an object. They can see it as something that needs to be obtained. Since they are in contextual blindness, they love people in their own way because they do not know how to show love. Many individuals with autism can live as a married adult with children. It is not the case that their children have autism as well just because they are on the autism spectrum.
Interesting Facts About Autism
- Autism is not a deficiency but an awareness.
- Autism was originally named “Kanner Syndrome”.
- Over the past thirty years, a dramatic increase in the number of children diagnosed with autism has been observed. This ratio increased from 1 / 2,500 to 1/150. Part of this increase is probably due to better diagnosis and the changing definition of autism. Autism now includes a wide variety of conditions called autism spectrum disorders.
- Approximately 21.6 million people have autism spectrum disorder all over the world.
- Every 20 minutes, the child is diagnosed with autism in the world.
- In America, 1 out of every 189 girls and 1 out of every 42 boys have autism spectrum disorder.
- The physical development and external appearance of children with autism are not different from their peers.
- Boys tend to have autism 5 times more than girls.
- Doctor Andrew Wakefield, who was claiming a link between vaccines and being on the autism spectrum, prepared fake data for his research. As a result, he lost his diploma and was banned from becoming a doctor.
- Professionals in the field have claimed that abnormal growth of the heads of newborn babies can cause autism.
- Currently, 20% of American people think vaccines cause children to be on the autism spectrum.
- According to an autism theory, the reason that individuals with autism are withdrawn is that their feelings are very strong and they have great difficulty expressing these feelings.
- People with autism have no tendency to yawn too much like other people. The stronger the feelings, the less likely they are to carry out this behavior.
- In fact, there is no difference between the brain structure of individuals with autism and the brain structure of non-autistic people.
- Vitamin D deficiency during pregnancy may cause the baby to have autism.
- More than 250 of the cinema scenes in the UK are autism-friendly. It is designed for use by individuals with autism. The sounds are lower and the lights are darker. And it is possible to take specific food and drink inside the cinema with them.
- Even though autism is a lifetime disorder, it has been proven according to a 2008 study that improvements were observed between up to 25% of people on the spectrum.
- The sensitivity of most individuals with autism to pain decreases. However, they may be extra sensitive to sound, touch, smell, or other sensory stimuli.
Some cases of autism spectrum disorder occur with the occurrence of depression in the family.
- According to some researches, drama lessons are particularly beneficial in developing the social skills of children with autism.
- Special dogs are trained to protect children with autism and never be alone. These dogs protect children with autism from various dangers.
- In Belgium, people with autism spectrum disorder have the right to seek euthanasia with their own will.
- The cause of death of 90% of children with autism is drowning.
Symptoms of Autism Spectrum Disorder
Social Communication and Interaction Problems
Symptoms such as not looking when you say his or her name, not establishing eye contact, acting as if there is no one around, not developing a friendship relationship, being indifferent to the attention of people, not starting a conversation or speaking strange, not chatting, repeating some words meaninglessly, and not participating in the games of his or her friends can be counted.
Repetitive / Obsessive Behaviors and Limited Interest or Activities
Over-interest in some objects, such as watching the washing machine for hours, being overly dependent on his or her layout and routines, overreacting sudden changes in order and daily routines, shaking or flapping, walking on the toes, and being over-reactive or unresponsive to sensory awakenings such as certain sounds, textures or odors can be counted as the symptoms of autism spectrum disorder.
Autism Related Books on Amazon
Uniquely Human: A Different Way of Seeing Autism
This book mainly focuses on what autism is and what the main symptoms are. It is a great book in order to understand how individuals with autism see the world at the basic level.
Population One: Autism, Adversity, and the Will to Succeed
This books tries to explain there is no difference among us. All of us is one. We create that difference that we shouldn’t. With the help of this book, you will understand what the autism is and what kind of difficulties they have.
Gut and Psychology Syndrome: Natural Treatment for Autism, Dyspraxia, A.D.D., Dyslexia, A.D.H.D., Depression, Schizophrenia
It is a revised an enlarged edition. It basically focuses on all kind of treatments. The author thinks that everything related with autism and everything affects the treatment. It is a very helpful and beneficial book, especially if you have someone in yor family with autism.
A Parent’s Guide to High-Functioning Autism Spectrum Disorder, Second Edition: How to Meet the Challenges and Help Your Child Thrive
As the name implied, it is a guidebook for parents. Having a child on the autism spectrum is a challenging process for parents. At some point, they will need help and they will struggle for sure. Struggles with daily routine can be handled with the help of this book at least. It helps parent to understand what kind of difficulties their children have.
Look Me in the Eye: My Life with Asperger’s
It is one of the bestsellers. It is a true story. It is reality based book. This book will help everyone to understand how individuals with Asperger’s see and understand the world. It gives you opportunity to understand their senses and feelings.